Can you believe that the end of the summer is here and fall is on its way? If you haven’t already, take a trip to the beach with friends and family, enjoy Pier 39 in San Francisco or simply go to a park and enjoy reading a book in the shade. Wherever you go or end up, here are tips to stay cool and healthy:
1. Wear appropriate clothing: Choose lightweight, light-colored, loose-fitting clothing, and a wide-brim hat outdoors.
2. Pace yourself: Cut down on exercise during the heat.
3. Stay cool indoors: Stay in an air-conditioned place as much as possible.
4. Schedule outdoor activities carefully: Try to limit your outdoor activity to when it’s coolest, like morning and evening hours.
5. Wear sunscreen: Sunburn affects your body’s ability to cool down and can make you dehydrated.
Event Highlights for August
Spectrum Fall Prevention Program
Free, Every Mon., Wed. & Fri.
9:45-10:45am or 11:15am-12:15pm
Ashland Community Center
1530-167th Ave., San Leandro
Pilates (Mon), Zumba (Wed) & Line Dancing (Fri)
Every Monday, Wednesday & Friday
$10 month for 10 classes, 5:30pm
DeFremery Recreation Center
1651 Adeline St., Oakland
8/19 – Rumba Party, Afro Cuban Drums, Dances, Songs
Free, 1st and 3rd Sundays
La Pena Cultural Center
3105 Shattuck Ave., Berkeley
8/21 – Community Produce Distribution
Free, (1st & 3rd Tuesdays), 11am-12pm
111 Civic Drive, Hercules
Hercules Senior Center
8/11 – Rosie Rally Home Front Festival
1414 Harbour Way South, Richmond
8/23, 8/26 – Oakland Chinatown StreetFest
Free, 10am – 5pm
388 9th St. – Broadway & Harrison Street from 7th to 11th St.
We’d like to hear from you so send your event information to firstname.lastname@example.org.
More events listed August’s East Bay Independent
Don’t worry, we’ll send emails to your inbox and protect your privacy.